Thursday, July 24

Cleaning out my Software Closet

If your anything like me, you probably have a bunch of outdated software CDs/DVDs just lying around collecting dust. You don't use them anymore and the software isn't even installed on your computer anymore or never actually was. I feel bad throwing them out because it just seems so un-environmental and plus maybe somebody somewhere might have use of them. Well good luck trying to sell them on Ebay or anywhere else. You see you don't actually own that software CD, nope you only own the liscense to use the software. Yes it's crazy but recently I've had a few auctions up on Ebay taken down because I was violating copywrite laws of some sort. These are CD's that I no longer have use of and if I can't sell them I'll just end up throwing them away. They aren't pirated CDs, nor are they copies they are the original ones. I even had some old Apple OS cd's and in their term and aggrements, technically I am allowed to transfer the software once to someone else, as long as all the original paperwork goes along with it. WTF who the hell keeps all that paper work.

Now don't get me wrong I understand the reasons behind the copywrite laws but cmon, this is old outdated software that you can't even go buy in a store anymore, I'm not selling new copies of software. Maybe someone needs that old software or their computers might not be able to handle newer versions of the software. Also you would think that companies would want their product out there in one form or another. Oh whatever, sorry for the rant but I just needed to get that off my chest.

If you liked it digg it and stumbleupon it!
Digg!
StumbleUpon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My suggestion.. Garage Sale :D