Thursday, June 8

There's a Peeping Tom in all of us.


You may remember Mike Patton as the singer of Faith No More or maybe Mr. Bungle. If you've been wondering where he's been, well he's never left. He's been putting out some of the best music around since he's left Faith No More. He's no one band man or a one man band for that matter. He's been the voice of Fantomas, Tomahawk and numerous other side projects. He's collaborated with the likes of Bjork, John Zorn and Sepultura.

One of my favorite side projects of his was the 2001 album Lovage which featured Dan the Automater and Jennifer Charles. Well I think that just might be surplanted as my favorite Mike Patton side project(lets hope this is just more than a side project though). Mike Pattons new album is called Peeping Tom, which I believe is his take on the 1960 film of the same name. I've never seen the film so I have nothing to say about it. I have heard the album though and it is as in Mike Patton's words what radio should sound like. The album features song collaborations between such artists as Bebel Gilberto, Kool Keith, Massive Attack, Norah Jones and of course Pattons long time collaborator Dan The Automator.

Some of the stand out songs on the album are Mojo (Featuring Rahzel and Dan The Automator), Celebrity Death Match (Featuring Kid Koala) and Kill The DJ (Featuring Massive Attack). My favorite song on the album has to be Sucker (Featuring Norah Jones). On the song you hear a side of Norah Jones you'd never expect when she sexily sings the words "What do you think your my only lover, Motherfvcker". That song alone is worth getting the whole album.

So if your looking for some new music to listen to this summer, give Peeping Tom a listen, it just might satisfy the voyeur in you.

No comments: