Wednesday, September 13

Rockstar: Supernova, an unoriginal blog

So as I said in my previous blog, this week I'm going to try a little experiment and not post any original blogs, instead I will plagiarize other people's blogs. You may ask yourself why I'm doing this, well you see my blog doesn't get any hits/visitors what so ever. I think yesterday I only got 1 hit on my blog and that was probably me checking my blog to see if I had any visitors(yes its a vicious circle). So my experiment is to see if it's my subject matter, my style of writing or is my blog just plain not interesting, so why should people bother visiting it and waste their time here while there are millions of other uninteresting blogs out their to visit. Also another reason I'm doing this is that I just don't have the time to keep on writing my own blogs this week(how do all you people do it?) so this is also a practical matter on my part.

So let the experiment proceed......

Rockstar Supernova: Week 11

The last week of the season. I hope I haven't alienated too many readers with all these guilty pleasure posts. Next week I'll return to my normal "overlooked artists that I like" kind of posting. :)

As always, mp3s are available at Jeepney Diaries. Check the sidebar for the link.

I had hoped that Zayra or Storm would be chosen for the ex-contestant encore. But as I hinted at in my last post, I'd been told that Ryan was returning.

Ryan Starr: Back of Your Car - It was okay, but nothing spectacular. I still want Ryan to go all Patrick Wolf/Beirut and go for some eclectic piano and brass eccentricity.

Toby Rand: Karma Police (originally by Radiohead) - I think Lukas would have been much more interesting on this song, but Toby did well...for Toby. :p My affection for his original aside, I still think his vocals are too inconsistent for serious songs. He had some nice notes on this one, but not enough to make it great overall.

Toby Rand (feat. Magni): Throw It All Away - As catchy as the song is, I'm already getting a little tired of it. Not sure I could take hearing it on the radio all the time. This was the weakest of the three times he's performed it. Still good, but not as good as before.

Lukas Rossi: Fix You (originally by Coldplay) - Not as good as I thought it would be, The new arrangement in the middle was a nice change, but the beginning and ending vocals were subpar compared to Jim Christian's cover or even the original. And you know I'm not a Coldplay fan.

Lukas Rossi: Headspin - I thought at the beginning it would be boring, but once he hit that high note I really loved it. It's too bad he so rarely uses the full potential of his voice like that. It was great.

Paula Abdul was in the audience?! Well, now we know where Jason Newsted has been getting his happy juice from...

Dilana: Roxanne (originally by The Police) - Now that's the Dilana I knew and loved in the beginning! If only she'd done something like that weeks ago. Going acoustic was risky, but it was a good choice. Having the guys sing backup was a bit much, though, and completely unnecessary. Her voice sounded awesome, very soulful. She seemed to have reclaimed some of her dignity on this one.

Dilana: Supersoul - And then she lost that dignity all over again. I kept thinking "Supersuck", then I switched the channel for a while. I don't know if it's just a bad fit for her voice or simply a crap song in general, but I couldn't listen to it a third time. She should have stopped with "Roxanne".

Magni: Hush (originally by Deep Purple) - His guitar and stage presence playing were great, but the vocals sounded a little off to me.

Magni: When the Time Comes - Meh. I like Magni a lot, but he can easily sound monotonous. Maybe rock is not the best genre for him.

As for the bottom two, I'm only certain that one of them will be Magni. Dilana will probably be the other one at the bottom, with Lukas, Toby, and Dilana being the final three.

I still think the final choice will come down to Lukas and Toby. After last night's performances, I think Lukas is the top runner. But I won't be surprised if Tommy Lee decides that Toby will be a better match for his band.

No comments: