Friday, September 1

MTV VMAs

I don't know about you but I just don't get that excited about the MTV VMAs anymore. I flipped to it a couple times and the only time that it caught my attention was when The Raconteurs where playing but than MTV cut away from them to show backstage scenes. I was like hey what's going on, I guess The Raconteurs were just the house band or something like that. Aside from them I just wasn't interested in any of the other bands or acts that where playing. Now I know you might be saying oh your just some old fart that doesn't like popular music, and I to that would say your about half right. No I don't like the popular music that is featured on MTV nowadays, actually does MTV even play videos anymore? They must because they still have an awards show for them, except every time I click on MTV I see some reality show. Back to the popular music issue, I do like new music but it's just not featured on MTV, aside from Gnarles Barkley. Why can't MTV play stuff like Zero 7, Eagles of Death Metal, Peaches or Death From Above 1979?

Has MTV gotten dated and losing it's relevance? Do bands even need to have videos that are played on MTV? Just look at OK Go as an example, they made a video that was turned down by their record company so they just went ahead and put it on YouTube where it became a hit! MTV isn't the powerhouse in the music industry anymore, what with the internet any unsigned band/artist can have their music reach thousands of people all they need is an internet connection and a MySpace Page.

The one thing that I did catch on the MTV VMAs and gave me a chuckle on was that they had an award for most popular ringtone, I guess that's MTV's way of staying relevant in the world today.

I would love to hear what everyone else thinks.

1 comment:

Jules said...

I think what made the VMAs so great in the past is that you never knew what was going to happen. Remember when Courtney Love totally sabotaged Madonna's interview with Kurt Loder? Or when Madonna and Britney made out? Or when Madonna did something else crazy?? (hmmm...maybe it's just that Madonna's become boring.) Anyhoo, it seems like celebrities have become a lot more cautious in the past few years. Not sure why. Maybe the whole crackdown by the FCC (via the Janet Jackson incident) has caused them to think twice before doing any crazy stunt? Either way, BORING!!!!