Friday, July 21

Peaches: Impeach My Bush (2006)


So, Peaches the reigning queen of punk electrotrash music* is back, with a new album titled Impeach My Bush From the title of the album one would assume that this record would be filled with politically charged anti-Bush songs, well one would be wrong if they thought that. Besides the first track, which only clocks in at 49 seconds, titled F*ck or Kill in which Peaches sings "I'd rather f*ck who I want than kill who I'm told to" over and over there are no other overtly political references on the rest of the album. So, it just makes me think that Peaches just wanted to show us how clever she is with words and how they can have a double meaning or maybe no meaning at all.

With that said Peaches, on this album doesn't break any new musical ground, its basically more of the same as her last 2 records 2003's Fatherf*cker and 2000's Teaches of Peaches. Now, I don't mean to dissuade you from getting it, because if your a fan of Peaches you won't be disappointed. Some of the stand out tracks on the album are Tent In Your Pants, which features the standout lyrics, "It hurts so good I got a soregasm" it really doesn't get any better than that. The other tracks that stick in my head are Boys Wanna Be Her(which features once again an awesome collaboration with Joan Jett!), Two Guys(For Every Girl) and Do Ya(which can be heard on the new Gap commercial).

I'm not sure if Peaches is mellowing as she gets older or if I'm just becoming desensitized to vulgarities as I get older but, I didn't find this album as explicit and raw as her previous one's. Don't let that fool you though, Peaches is far from breaking into the mainstream and becoming a household name. You won't hear her music on the radio nor see her videos on MTV(does MTV even play videos anymore?) but with Gap(one of the most mainstream commercial retailers in the world) using one of her songs as a soundtrack for their new commercial, just maybe just maybe she might get her pinky toe into the mainstream consciousness. With that said, and if you've made it through this horribly written review, if you've never heard of Peaches before or if your a long time fan I would recommend getting her new album, Impeach My Bush.

Peaches is currently on tour with the Eagles of Death Metal and I will be seeing them on Saturday 22nd at Irving Plaza, Hopefully I'll have the time to write a review of the show, but if she's as good as the other time I saw her I can only bet that its going to be good.


Peaches wikipedia article: here


*If there is a reigning queen of punk electrotrash music than Peaches would be it.

1 comment:

Daeminimon said...

ambitious enough for you?