Thursday, July 20

Summer time in the City

So as I said yesterday, I would come back and revisit my idea of what I like and dislike about summertime in the city. So here it goes.

Likes

  • Girls wear less clothing: short shorts, short skirts, low cut tops and flowing summer dresses.
  • ice cream(well I actually like ice cream during winter too so I guess that doesn't count)
  • A Corona and a lime
  • Barbeques (supplied by Johnny Strike)
  • Sitting on the front porch(submitted by hoosiergirl5)
  • Going to the pool with the kids(also submitted by hoosiergirl5)

  • Dislikes
  • The summer stench of hot garbage
  • waiting on hot subway platforms
  • The smell of urine filled subway walkways.(well I hate this one year round but trust me the smell is worse during the summer)
  • UK-specific, the completely inadequate (and in many buildings non-existent) air-con we have in this country!(also supplied by Johnny Strike)
  • Being sweaty and sticky(hoosiergirl5)
  • Bees(hoosiergirl5)

  • As I also wanted to hear from my readers on their likes and dislikes. Here is what one of my loyal readers had to say(well probably my only reader).

    Johnny Strike said...
    One summer in every four I dislike the World Cup.

    I have to admit I'm a little confused with what he had to say. I'm not sure if he meant that he hates the summer when the World Cup is held or that he hates the fact that the World Cup is held only once every four summers?

    Johnny Strike has contacted me and cleared up his above statement, here is his explanation:

    I meant that I dislike the World Cup. It transforms football from something that can easily be ignored (for those, like me, who'd prefer to ignore it) into something overblown, in-your-face, and unavoidable. Everywhere you look, everything is football-themed. Every product you buy has football on it. Everything on TV is about football. Every conversation you hear is football-related. So for that reason, from my perspective, it puts a damper on 1 summer in every 4.

    Once again I liked to thank Johnny Strike for his contributions.

    If you'd also like to add your dislikes and likes about summer feel free to send me your thoughts on it.

    If this blog wasn't riveting enough for you than go on over to Dresskevin.com. This guy actually lets you pick out what he will wear for the day. Now if that's not crazy I don't know what is.

    5 comments:

    Johnny Strike said...

    I meant that I dislike the World Cup. It transforms football from something that can easily be ignored (for those, like me, who'd prefer to ignore it) into something overblown, in-your-face, and unavoidable. Everywhere you look, everything is football-themed. Every product you buy has football on it. Everything on TV is about football. Every conversation you hear is football-related. So for that reason, from my perspective, it puts a damper on 1 summer in every 4.

    Of course, I'm talking from the perspective of someone who lives in the UK (I assume the World Cup is nowhere near as prominent in the US - I'd be interested to hear about that).

    Here's another UK-specific dislike about the summer: the completely inadequate (and in many buildings non-existent) air-con we have in this country!

    So that I don't appear to be an entirely negative individual, here's something I like about summer: barbeques!

    Johnny Strike said...

    Hey I just visited Dresskevin.com and since I was directed there from your blog, I thought it would only be fitting to vote for his "I heart NJ" T-shirt.

    What a weird site though. Slightly sinister, but in a nice way!

    msquared said...

    Of course football or as we call it soccer isn't as big here as it is over there, but I live in a predominitely Italian area. So when the Italians won our city went crazy. People where driving around waving Italian flags honking their horns. It was actually quite too much.

    I will be updating my dislikes and likes of summer to include your new ones.

    Thats funny you voted for a I heart NJ shirt.

    Thanks for reading and leaving comments. I'm trying to remember how I heard about your blog, do you remember?

    Jodi said...

    In the summer, I like:
    staying up later (the kids AND I are out of school), sitting on the front porch, and going to the pool with the kids.
    I dislike: being sweaty, sticky kids, and bees.
    next stop, the "dress kevin" website.
    Jodi

    Johnny Strike said...

    As far as I know, you heard about my blog from The Grimshaw.

    I knew that soccer is a relatively minor sport in the US, but I'm not sure how much interest the World Cup (specifically) generates. Is it widely covered, viewed and discussed, or does it pass by with barely a comment? I guess it depends on where in the US you live, like you say.
    Usually I have a good sense of the popularity levels of US sports because I regularly watch the NFL, with feeds from US network commentators - which means that I tend to pick up a lot of random facts about other US sports like baseball, basketball, etc. But I hardly ever hear anything about soccer, so I'm curious about it's level of popularity in relation to the NFL, NBA and whatever the baseball league is called (MLB???).